Respected Tacoma Elder Law Attorney Assists Seniors with Estate Planning, Guardianship and Probate Matters
Washington lawyer develops individualized plans to fit the needs of older residents
As you age, your plans for the future become more pressing. You may want to protect your legacy or revise your will or other estate planning instruments to account for changes in your life. As a firm that provides attentive services to clients in Tacoma and throughout Washington, Bottimore & Associates, P.L.L.C. is prepared to handle the unique needs of older citizens. We work closely with clients on a comprehensive estate plan that accomplishes their goals, preserves their assets, and protects their beneficiaries. We also assist with trusts that can negate the need for probate, and provide peace of mind for family members by drafting guardianship arrangements for vulnerable adults. For any of these elder law matters, we offer the caring and comprehensive counsel you deserve.
Senior advocate drafts wills, trusts and advance directives
As an experienced estate planning firm, we are passionate about serving the needs of older clients who wish to get their affairs in order. We draft wills, trusts and other estate planning instruments that express your wishes and conform to Washington law. We help ensure that these enforceable legal documents can stand the test of time and any challenges in court. If a legal dispute arises, we provide skilled representation in trust litigation and other civil litigation matters. We also help draft powers of attorney and living wills that transfer decision-making authority for your financial and medical affairs to a person you trust in the event you become incapacitated.
Compassionate adviser assists with guardianships to protect loved ones
When elderly loved ones become unable to care for themselves without assistance, we assist families in petitioning for guardianship so that they can meet their needs. We can also advise on alternatives to guardianship. If your loved one needs long-term care, we can explore the option of using the Involuntary Treatment Act to place him or her in a skilled nursing facility and offer advice on arranging for financing through Medicare, Medicaid, and other plans.
Skilled probate attorney helps clients administer estates
If you have been named in a will as an estate’s executor, known in Washington as the personal representative, you may find it difficult to handle the many tasks involved in probate while still grieving the loss of a loved one. We can help you navigate the probate process by assisting with duties that include:
- Opening a probate case — You must file a petition asking the court to open a probate case and provide the court with the last known will of the testator and proof that the will is valid. The court issues an order admitting the will to probate and appointing you as the personal representative.
- Notifying others of the appointment — You must provide certain individuals who have the right to this notice of your appointment. You must also notify the Department of Social and Health Services of the case and your appointment.
- Preparing an inventory — You will need to create an inventory for the estate that lists each asset and its value. You may need to have formal appraisals completed for more valuable property or complex assets.
- Determining debts — You will also have to go through the decedent’s papers to determine his or her debts. You will need to notify creditors of the death; they must file a claim with the estate within four months of the date of notice.
- Managing estate assets — You will likely need to open an estate checking account, set up bookkeeping records, pay bills, maintain insurance and perform other steps to properly manage the estate assets.
- Distributing assets to beneficiaries — After taxes and other expenses are paid and the time period for creditors to make a claim against the estate has expired, you distribute the remaining assets to the beneficiaries in accordance with the terms of the will.
Probate can be a daunting process, but with our assistance, you can handle your duties efficiently and effectively so that the estate can be closed and the testator’s wishes fulfilled. We draw on extensive knowledge of Washington probate law to offer comprehensive assistance at each step. Should will contests or other claims to the estate arise, we are able to provide skilled representation in probate litigation.
Contact our experienced Washington elder law attorney for advice and counsel.
Whether you’re a senior seeking help for a will or trust, a family member petitioning for guardianship of an elderly loved one, or an executor needing assistance with the probate process, Bottimore & Associates, P.L.L.C. in Tacoma offers detailed advice and advocacy to clients throughout Washington. Contact us today by calling 253-272-5653 or by contacting us online.